Dan Wallace on the Great Commission

Posted By on March 15, 2014

Noted Greek grammarian and textual criticism scholar (and all-around nice guy) Dan Wallace recently posted a three-part treatment of the Great Commission. This is what pastors should be doing on any given Sunday. No, pastors don’t need to be Greek scholars. They just need to get serious about studying for sermons. Everything you’ll read in here is available in reference grammars and serious commentaries (i.e., commentaries that engage the original language instead of summarizing the English). Enjoy!

Part 1: The Great Commission or the Great Suggestion?

The Great Commission, Part 2: Historical Setting

The Great Commission, Part 3: Application

Technorati Tags: , , , ,

Comments

9 Responses to “Dan Wallace on the Great Commission”

1. CBM says:

GET OUT OF MY HEAD! I was just listening to someone talk about the Great Commission ideas found in the synoptics ten minutes before I got the email alert for this! Part 1 deals with what I lazily skimmed from the NET bible as I listened to the speaker, and it seems like the next to parts are going to get at what I really want to know. Thank you.

2. CBM says:

I’m disappointed. My itchy ears wanted to hear something new, but he just belabored the standard views of the texts. I supposed I can live with it, but Wallace isn’t getting anymore clicks from me until that fragment of Mark or whatever it was comes out of the vault.

LOL – I’ve emailed him a couple times to pester him about that to no avail (yet).

• Mike says:

THanks!

I was asking for a few specific titles, BUT I’ll search out those other articles you’ve written and see what you name there. :) Besides, you mentioned the engagement in original languages in the opening post. :) My curiosity is driven by the easy availability of not-necessarily-good materials on-line.

More directly regarding Wallace, bribery is becoming a temptation when it comes to waiting for that Mark fragment revelation.

Have a good weekend!

3. chris says:

hey Micheal , i have been interested in Scythian history since reading Herodotus, the link i sent is interesting as, and i would very much like your opinion on it.

4. Mike says:

On the subject of commentaries, what are some commentaries to avoid?

Anything that doesn’t engage the original languages – that rules out devotional, homiletical, and most expositional sets (but not all). I’ve blogged about different kinds of commentaries on this blog before; they all have a place, but for exegesis, what doesn’t engage the original text is a waste of time.