Math and Genesis 5′s Genealogies

Posted By on March 12, 2014

In view of the recent post on the antediluvian genealogies, I thought some readers might be interested in mathematical attempts to decipher them.

Here is a summary of the numbers in the genealogies in Genesis 5, excerpted from the Word Biblical Commentary (vol 1) by Gordon Wenham. The excerpt references a couple of studies. One attempt that appeared after the WBC was published is that of Donald Etz. It’s interesting, but I don’t find it persuasive. As the WBC notes, there’s no completely satisfactory mathematical cipher.

Comments

8 Responses to “Math and Genesis 5′s Genealogies”

1. Dave Lewis says:

I assume that scholars have already looked at the words made from these numbers and didn’t find anything interesting.

2. Malkiyahu says:

As someone who has dedicated what seems like countless hours of study and calculation to biblical chronology, I find these very interesting. Wenham’s commentary has been in my Amazon wish list but I haven’t gotten to it yet.

Do you know of any bibliobloggers or ANY bloggers who regularly focus on biblical chronology or ancient chronology in general?

oh my yes – this used to be a mini-obsession of mine. Send me an email with *specific* items you’re interested in (not too long, though).

3. Richard Brown says:

maaannnnn…. I give the WBC team high marks for dogged persistence in the face of impossible odds. wow.

4. blop2008 says:

…And it shows us that we cannot rely on the ages in most of our translations, which are based on the MT. Those who try to decipher mathematical symbolism using MT based texts (as I have done in 2007) are sincerely, but unfortunately, wasting their time that could be better spent in more feasible and digestible exegetical matters.

5. Rebecca Watkins says:

I am fascinated by your website and articles. I have to read paragraphs several times, but you do make it plain enough for people like me to learn and want to learn more.
    I have spent most of my life in a Southern Baptist Church. Seventeen years as Administrative Assistant/Financial Secretary at the church I attended.
    We learned the “Five Fundamentals” well. But so many unanswered questions until I found your website.
    Thank you! God a less You!
    Rebecca